Villa Alba was built and decorated between 1882 and 1884 for Anna Maria McEvoy and her husband, the banker William Greenlaw. From 1897, the house was leased and later occupied by a succession of owners including the Fripp family, the Royal Women’s Hospital and the Mount Royal Hospital. In 2004 the title was transferred to Villa Alba Museum Inc.
Stories from Villa Alba
In its 130+ year history, many people have lived, visited and worked in Villa Alba. Some of their stories can be read below.
Door 1 leads to an account of the Paterson Bros; art decorators who were employed in the 1880s by William Greenlaw to create the elaborate painted interiors of Villa Alba.
Door 2 leads to the childhood world of Diana Allen as she remembers her Fripp ancestors’ home in the 1940s.
Door 3 leads to the adult world of Rosemary McMeekin who worked in the Henry Pride Geriatric Centre between 1978 and 1994.